DemoIt is a tool that helps you create beautiful live-coding demonstrations.
I'm doing lots of live-coding during conferences and I like tools like reveal.js to create slides. What I wanted was a tool that has some of the properties of reveal.js but with capabilities to code and run commands in front of the audience.
Two things are really important to me:
- For a given presentation, the slides should live in the same repository as the code.
- The tool should allow context-switching-less live coding demos. Attendees don't want to watch me switching between a browser, an IDE and a terminal all the time.
This is how I came up with DemoIt.
DemoIt is a small command line tool written in Go. It serves rich web content composed of text, images and smart web components.
Those web components make most of the magic.
- One component displays multi-tab ttys that can be used to run any command.
- Another is a web browser view that auto refreshes itself.
- Another is a code viewer with highlighing and tabs that looks like a real IDE,
Download binary from GitHub
curl -L -odemoit https://github.com/dgageot/demoit/releases/download/v1.0/demoit-`uname -s | tr '[:upper:]' '[:lower:]'`-`uname -m`
sudo install demoit /usr/local/bin/demoit
Add shell font
To have a correct display in the web terminal, it's better to install the font
Inconsolata for Powerline on your computer.
This font can be found here.
Get started from a Sample
# Create an empty directory
cd $HOME; mkdir my-demoit-presentation; cd $HOME/my-demoit-presentation
# Download a sample demo
curl -L https://github.com/dgageot/demoit/archive/master.tar.gz | tar xvf - --strip-components=2 demoit-master/sample
# Run demoit
Then, browse to http://localhost:8888
Pro tip: Run
demoit -dev instead and enjoy live reload each time you change the content of the slides.
How do I customize my presenttion then?
Basically, the idea is to:
- Write content in
demoit.htmlat the root of the project. This file contains all the html slides separated with
- Add images, fonts and scripts in the
.demoitfolder at the root of the project.
- Customize the style sheet in
Build from sources
git clone https://github.com/dgageot/demoit.git
This requires Go 1.19 or later.
There is no documentation for this package.