Visit prometheus.io for the full documentation, examples and guides.
Prometheus is a systems and service monitoring system. It collects metrics from configured targets at given intervals, evaluates rule expressions, displays the results, and can trigger alerts if some condition is observed to be true.
Prometheus' main distinguishing features as compared to other monitoring systems are:
- a multi-dimensional data model (timeseries defined by metric name and set of key/value dimensions)
- a flexible query language to leverage this dimensionality
- no dependency on distributed storage; single server nodes are autonomous
- timeseries collection happens via a pull model over HTTP
- pushing timeseries is supported via an intermediary gateway
- targets are discovered via service discovery or static configuration
- multiple modes of graphing and dashboarding support
- support for hierarchical and horizontal federation
There are various ways of installing Prometheus.
Precompiled binaries for released versions are available in the releases section of the GitHub repository. Using the latest production release binary is the recommended way of installing Prometheus. See the Installing chapter in the documentation for all the details.
Debian packages are available.
Container images are available on Quay.io.
Building from source
To build Prometheus from the source code yourself you need to have a working Go environment with version 1.5 or greater installed.
You can directly use the
go tool to download and install the
promtool binaries into your
GOPATH. We use Go 1.5's experimental
vendoring feature, so you will also need to set the
environment variable in this case:
$ GO15VENDOREXPERIMENT=1 go get github.com/prometheus/prometheus/cmd/... $ prometheus -config.file=your_config.yml
You can also clone the repository yourself and build using
$ mkdir -p $GOPATH/src/github.com/prometheus $ cd $GOPATH/src/github.com/prometheus $ git clone https://github.com/prometheus/prometheus.git $ cd prometheus $ make build $ ./prometheus -config.file=your_config.yml
The Makefile provides several targets:
- build: build the
- test: run the tests
- format: format the source code
- vet: check the source code for common errors
- assets: rebuild the static assets
- docker: build a docker container for the current
- The source code is periodically indexed: Prometheus Core.
- You will find a Travis CI configuration in
- All of the core developers are accessible via the Prometheus Developers Mailinglist and the
Refer to CONTRIBUTING.md
Apache License 2.0, see LICENSE.
The main package for the Prometheus server executable.
|The main package for the Prometheus server executable.|
Package local contains the local time series storage used by Prometheus.
|Package local contains the local time series storage used by Prometheus.|
Package codable provides types that implement encoding.BinaryMarshaler and encoding.BinaryUnmarshaler and functions that help to encode and decode primitives.
|Package codable provides types that implement encoding.BinaryMarshaler and encoding.BinaryUnmarshaler and functions that help to encode and decode primitives.|
Package index provides a number of indexes backed by persistent key-value stores.
|Package index provides a number of indexes backed by persistent key-value stores.|
Package flock provides portable file locking.
|Package flock provides portable file locking.|