MySQL Operator enables bulletproof MySQL on Kubernetes. It manages all the necessary resources for deploying and managing a highly available MySQL cluster. It provides effortless backups, while keeping the cluster highly available.
MySQL Operator was developed by the awesome engineering team at Presslabs, a Smart Managed WordPress Hosting platform.
For more open-source projects, check Presslabs Code.
Goals and status
The main goals of this operator are:
- Easily deploy MySQL clusters in Kubernetes (cluster-per-service model)
- Friendly to devops (monitoring, availability, scalability and backup stories solved)
- Out-of-the-box backups (scheduled and on demand) and point-in-time recovery
- Support for cloning in cluster and across clusters.
The operator is to be considered alpha and not suitable for critical production workloads. We, Presslabs, sucessfully use it at the moment for some non-critical production workloads.
We welcome all contributions in the form of new issues for feature requests, bugs or even pull requests. We are open to discuss ideas on how to improve the operator and would also love to find out where and how it's used. The discussion related to this project should happen on the Kubernetes Community Slack. The current maintainers of this project can be reached via email, too.
- Getting started provides an overview over deploying and using the MySQL operator
- Deploy a MySQL cluster describes in detail how a cluster can be installed and configured
- Configure backups shows how to configure and take backups of a cluster
- Recurrent backups describes how to setup recurrent backups for the cluster
- Restore a cluster explains how to restore a cluster from a backup
- How to integrate the operator with your deployment setup. This presents a simple way of using the MySQL operator and helm to deploy your application
- Orchestrator shows you how to access the orchestrator for more details.
To deploy this controller, use the provided helm chart by running:
helm repo add presslabs https://presslabs.github.io/charts helm install presslabs/mysql-operator --name mysql-operator
NOTE: MySQL operator 0.2.x requires at least Kubernetes 1.11.x (or 1.10.x with alpha features) while version 0.1.x is known to work with Kubernetes up 1.9.x. To upgrade, check the 0.2.x upgrade notes as some additional steps are required.
Maybe upgrading the MySQL operator to a newer version requires additional steps. Those steps can be found in the operator's documentation at upgrades section.
Deploying a cluster
kubectl apply -f https://raw.githubusercontent.com/presslabs/mysql-operator/master/examples/example-cluster-secret.yaml kubectl apply -f https://raw.githubusercontent.com/presslabs/mysql-operator/master/examples/example-cluster.yaml
Roadmap to v1.0
- Integration with Google Cloud Marketplace, OperatorHub.io, AWS Marketplace
- CRD Validation and webhooks
- SSL support
- Default integrated with MySQL 8.0
- Proxy SQL integration
- Backup policies
- Physical backups
- HA Orchestrator integration
- Prometheus metrics exporter
- Lag mitigation
- Query limits
This project uses Percona Server for MySQL 5.7 because of backup improvements (eg. backup locks), monitoring improvements and some serviceability improvements (eg. utility user). Although we could have used MariaDB, our primary focus being WordPress, we wanted a drop-in rather than a fork. In the future we might support MariaDB if that can be implemented in a compatible way.
This project is licensed under Apache 2.0 license. Read the LICENSE file in the top distribution directory for the full license text.
Package apis contains Kubernetes API groups.
|Package apis contains Kubernetes API groups.|
Package mysql contains mysql API versions
|Package mysql contains mysql API versions|
Package v1alpha1 contains API Schema definitions for the mysql v1alpha1 API group +k8s:openapi-gen=true +k8s:deepcopy-gen=package,register +k8s:conversion-gen=github.com/presslabs/mysql-operator/pkg/apis/mysql +k8s:defaulter-gen=TypeMeta +groupName=mysql.presslabs.org
|Package v1alpha1 contains API Schema definitions for the mysql v1alpha1 API group +k8s:openapi-gen=true +k8s:deepcopy-gen=package,register +k8s:conversion-gen=github.com/presslabs/mysql-operator/pkg/apis/mysql +k8s:defaulter-gen=TypeMeta +groupName=mysql.presslabs.org|
nolint: golint, errcheck
|nolint: golint, errcheck|
Package orchestrator note NOTE that this code is copied from: https://github.com/github/orchestrator/blob/master/go/inst/instance.go We need just the types that's why is copied instead of imported.
|Package orchestrator note NOTE that this code is copied from: https://github.com/github/orchestrator/blob/master/go/inst/instance.go We need just the types that's why is copied instead of imported.|
Package ginkgowrapper wraps Ginkgo Fail and Skip functions to panic with structured data instead of a constant string.
|Package ginkgowrapper wraps Ginkgo Fail and Skip functions to panic with structured data instead of a constant string.|